Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Got more soul then a sock with a hole

bonjour internet. I'm in a bit of an old man phase so I'm going to follow up my post on vinyl with a post about radio. I love the radio. It starts me off every morning and tells me everything I need to know; news, weather, entertainment, everything. The morning announcers have become so familiar to me that it's almost as if they are in my house with me just having a nice conversation about what's going on. I especially love the programs on the CBC. My favorite program has to be the Vinyl Cafe with Stuart McLean. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Vinyl Cafe it's a radio show that happens every Sunday. The show has Stuart McLean telling stories about Dave, owner of a second hand record store, and Dave's wife, Morley, their two children, Sam and Stephanie, and assorted friends and neighbors. I can't really explain it much more then that you really have to listen yourself to understand it in it's full glory. Other programs I enjoy are Age of Persuasion, (A show about advertising and the work that goes into making it) GO! (A live radio show with games, music and other random fun) Q (a Talk show hosted by Jian Ghomeshi) Vinyl Tap (A show hosted by Randy Bachman where he talks music and stories) and a whole bunch more CBC shows.
The only problem I really have with the radio is that I'm not always the one controlling the dials. Here in Halifax there are three different pop stations. Z103, 101.3 (The Bounce) and C100. This means that anyone who has access to a radio probably will pick one of those three stations considering no one my age really enjoys talk radio or classic rock. I'm going to use this to segway into an anger fueled rant about pop music today so if you're someone who likes that kinda music and would like to remain blissfully unaware of how crappy it is skip this next paragraph. Otherwise read on.

First off I'd like to start with auto-tune. Auto-tune started as a little program to fix little pitch errors in singers and what not. It wasn't used as an effect until Cher came out with a song called Believe. Nowadays there are people like T-Pain who are apparently big fans of how Cher sounds and use it in hip hop songs. To me this takes away all artistic credibility from artists who barely had any in the first place. I mean these people barely have any lyrical abilities since all they rap about is money and the things that come with it and now it's not even their voice. I love hip hop but it's getting to the point where with auto tune no artist is unique. T-Pain and I would sound almost identical with auto-tune so what's stopping me from taking his place? The answer to that is image. T-Pain looks like a rap star I'm just a little white kid, which brings me to my next point. Image should have nothing to do with musicians. Lots of musicians are ugly, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Rolling Stones and those are some of the biggest names in music history. Which leads me to one of my least favorite names in pop music Lady Gaga. For some reason Lady Gaga is viewed as this "visionary" and so "unique" I suspect it's because she dresses so strangely. That's all well and fine cause I don't know anything about fashion but I do know that she shouldn't be viewed as a good musician with lines like "let's have some fun/this beat is sick/ I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" and that's disregarding her "lyrics" that aren't even real words. In my opinion she should stick with fashion and get out of music. By far my least favorite thing about pop music today is one specific song. It's called sexy chick. In this song Akon says "I don't know how to describe this girl without being disrespectful" excuse my Caps but ARE YOU KIDDING ME! This is literally saying that Akon cannot call a girl beautiful or pretty or anything even close to that because all the things he calls girls are words like hoe and bitch. This song is extremely popular and I have to ask any girl reading this would you enjoy dating or being with a guy who doesn't know how to say you look good without calling you a demeaning word? No of course not but there are a lot of girls who mindlessly listen to this making it more and more popular. I'd be pissed if I were a girl and this guy was putting women down like that on such a massive level.

I'd like to apologize for the anger in that post it's just I'm forced to listen to the radio at work and I needed to vent it out.
To make up for it I'd like to unveil on the blog for the first time the Old Shug Film Co.! That's right Brendan and I (plus Jenna and Rob who are friends of ours) have started making short films here is a link to some of the ones we have made so far. There are two now but a third will be up soon. Enjoy!

I know I used caps lock earlier but just know it's not your fault and I still love you
-Grant

No comments: