Monday, August 10, 2009

Ban Your Rays



So I wanted to buy a pair of RayBan Wayfarers to pay homage to some of my heroes, Bob Dylan, John F. Kennedy, John Belushi, Roy Orbison and Andy Warhol. Who were all famous for wearing the iconic metal framed sunglasses. The only problem is that a certain group of adolescence have adopted the trend by wearing bright and colourful cheap knockoffs to express their "artistic" and "ungovernable" state of rebellious youth. These people are known as "Hipsters". You may confuse them with their sister group the "Emos" however, a hipster will be more colorful. I would have no problem with this group of people if they stood for something. But really, they are just feeding into this trend of false-appreciation for the arts. If i go out and purchase my RayBans I will be seen as just another hipster. When really that is clearly not the case. Just like the Emos have stolen the once respectable "Chuck Taylor" style Converse sneakers. The hipsters are stealing the once iconic metal framed eye-wear. You can not walk down the mall without seeing colorful plastic knockoffs being sold everywhere.
I do not want to sound hateful, because that would be very "un-dude" of me. I am only reinforcing for our youth to think for themselves, wear clothes that fit, and love one another.

Song Reccomendation: "Mountains of the Moon" - Grateful Dead

Do what you love,
-Brendan

1 comment:

Ricky said...

Don't forget Elvis Costello! Great post.